[Roadsters] Top speed (was 160 MPH Speedo)

Matthew A. Smith matthews517 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 1 08:51:08 MST 2008

Hi Paul!
I figure the "stock" numbers are just a matter of the equation of "stock"
gearing, "manufacturer reported" HP, and weight. I can't believe they took 5
of these cars out to Bonneville and "drove it till it came apart"! 1 MPH
below the average would be its "top speed"! HAHAHAHA!
By the late 60's, all American car makers were "reporting" much lower HP's
for their engines than were actual, for insurance purposes. 335 HP out of a
428 CJ? Gimee an F'n break!
One would think that if you geared the rear end higher, you'd get a little
higher top speed. Also, if you started adding things like a header and
aftermarket air cleaners for better flow, hotter spark with better plugs,
wires, and a 12V EI (i.e. a Boone), better tires and wheels. Where is "top
speed now?
I saw a Road & Track article from the era that had the 0-60 time for a
SRL-311 MUCH, MUCH lower than Loreli is capable of. As I recall, it was
somewhere quite a bit over 6.0 or 7.0. I don't know what "light foot" they
had driving that day, but... WHAT A PUSSY! LMAO! I have no problem keeping
even with a Corvette C5 off the line. A V8 Lotus ate me alive one time, but
the close ratio gearing caused him to be slower to 80. He killed me at the
line, but I caught him.
Anyone who's coming to Mitty know ANYTHING about Solexes? Particularly how
to tune them? Contact me individually for what parts/tools I may need to
bring and what your "beer" price is! LOL!

Headin' out to give Loreli a bath and a rub down, then OFF TO THE HILLS!
Sunny and hi 50's today; Sunny and mid 60's tomorrow!
Luvin U!
Matt