[Roadsters] Cross Country, have I lost my mind?

Ruth ruth at earlydatsun.com
Thu Jul 31 18:53:49 MDT 2008

Not at all!

Of all my cars, if I had to choose one to do a long trip in, the
roadster would be it. Some examples:

My sporty was our honeymoon chariot of choice in January (hottest time
of the year). We drove from Queensland to Tasmania, round the island,
along the Great Ocean Road and back. Total of 7,500 km in 3 weeks.
Nothing went wrong. Except for nearly running out of fuel, but that
was because the petrol station closed 1/2 hour earlier than our Lonely
Planet guide told us it would.

We bought a car from Melbourne a couple of years ago and drove back to
Brisbane (1800km) in 3 days. Sight unseen, unregistered (we had a
permit) and again, no issues once we put the correct amount of air in
the tyres and they weren't reading 48-59-20-12!

Club members drove to the DSOA Nationals in South Australia from here
in Brisbane last year - across the top end! Total of 8645 miles
(13,832km) in 34 days. One broken wheel bearing between them, but that
was a brand new one that had only done 2000 km. Have a look at a map
of Australia while you read their trip report here: http://www.earlydatsun.com/roundoz.html

Just do it. Oh, and good luck!

Ruth