[Roadsters] Help, I'm snapping off bolt heads!

Keith0alan at aol.com Keith0alan at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 13:13:41 MDT 2008

One of my favorite rust penetrants is a half and half mix of acetone  and
ATF. Works well and is cheap to boot. I read about some testing a while back
where it beat all the high priced stuff. Before removing any body hardware I
soak them with it and let it sit for a bit. If you can get to both sides even
better. Once the fastener starts turning shoot a little more on the threads. If
it turns tight you can spray a little on then turn it back in then back it
out  again. This works the stuff into the threads. For ones that are really
tight  warm them with a propane torch then spray. This helps to draw it in.

The ones on the bottom of the fender near the door are often buggers. Water
tends to get inside the panel and rust the captive nuts and bolt threads. To
get  the broken ones out, start by soaking them in the rust penetrant and heat
with  the propane torch. With any luck there will be a little stub left that
you can  get hold of with a pair of locking pliers and turn them out. Another
trick is to  weld a nut to the stub so you have something to get a hold of.
Also, you can  center drill the broken bolt. Sometimes they till turn and just
run through the  captive nut and fall inside the body panel. I haven't had any
luck with easy  outs. With some I start with a small drill and go up step at a
time. With care  you can remove the bolt and leave the threads in the captive
nut. Then you run a  tap through the hole to clean up the threads.

Once you do get it out stainless hardware with anti-seize or grease on the
threads will make things easier next time.

keith

In a message dated 7/25/2008 10:48:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,