[Roadsters] Starter problems

matthew peterson pete_303 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 21:55:34 MDT 2008

Hi everyone,
I have a project roadster that I've been working on off and on
(mostly off) for the last few years.  It has an L20b engine in it but I think
this question should still pertain to the roadster list.
When I turn the key
to start the engine, I can hear the starter spin but it doesn't seem to be
engaging the flywheel.  It worked fine a few years ago, then it started to
engage it off and on so I took it in to get fixed.  Today was the first time
I've gotten to test it since I got it "fixed" a couple of years ago and now it
won't engage the flywheel at all.
I'm thinking that it's either a bad solenoid
or else it's not getting enough power to activate the solenoid.  From what
I've read on 510 websites, some people have put a relay between the
solenoid/starter and the ignition to get around a similer (or possibly the
same problem).
If anyone can help stear me in the right direction I'd really
appreciate it.  I feel like this car will never get back on the road!
Thanks,
Matt Peterson
'68 1600 (L20b)
Houston, MN