[Roadsters] OT: Spelling

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:30:29 MDT 2008

And MY pet peeve(s)

MAY v. CAN ( you MAY have my permission as long as you CAN( are able) to do
it.
LESS v. FEWER  (less is singular ( as in less Time ) and Fewer is plural ( as
in fewer sheep )

Peter

> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:50:54 -0700> From: roadsterdude1600 at yahoo.com> To:
AffordPlbg at aol.com; datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net; tputland at charter.net> CC:
Onegarlic1 at aol.com; lesliehobbs at earthlink.net; DutchJoo at aol.com> Subject: Re:
[Roadsters] OT: Spelling> > Nancy (and all), The misuse of I/me is very
common, but recently I have noticed a lot of people on TV, including Anchors
(who do not even write their own stuff) misusing he/him and her/she. It is
everywhere. As in "Him and I were discussing X", or "That was a surprise to
she and I"> (how about to her and me, which sounds odd only because no one
ever does it correctly, it would seem). What a language!> > Mike SC> > > > Hi
all,> > > > This is Nancy, Gary Wasserman's wife. I usually have no> >
interest in anything > > written on this list. Tonight, however, Gary called
me in> > and said, "Honey, > > there's something here I think you'll want to>
> read." Well, I've read every > > response and haven't stopped smiling yet!>
> > > My father's nickname is "The Chief of the Grammar> > Police" and I am my
> > father's daughter! Misspelled words jump out at me> > when I'm reading
anything. I > > can't enjoy a nice restaurant meal without finding> > typos on
the menu. I want > > to take photos of store signs that have misspellings, > >
because I think they're > > so ridiculous.> > > > Gary and I recently hired a
tile installer to do some work> > at our house. He > > gave me several
contracts to read and sign, and I found> > many mistakes on > > each one. Of
course, I had to point them out to him! > > Even his newly printed > >
business card had the word "buisness" on it, and> > although he said he asked
many > > people to proof it, nobody caught it. How can this be?> > > > Besides
"its" versus "it's," I> > think my biggest pet peeve is the misuse of > > the
word I. Yes, we all learn in school that one does not> > say, "Me and Gary > >
went to the park," but rather "Gary and I went to> > the park." Unless the "I"
> > is part of the object, however, the use of the word> > "me" is usually
correct. > > "She went to the park with Gary and I" is not> > right. The way
one checks is > > to take away the other person. You wouldn't say,> > "She
went to the park with > > I," but rather, "She went to the park with> > me."
So, the correct sentence is, > > "She went to the park with Gary and me."> > >
> Okay, I'm through boring you. I just thought I'd> > put in my two cents. > >
Thanks for talking about something besides Datsun Roadsters> > for a change.>