[Roadsters] spelling

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 24 07:35:12 MDT 2008

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/thesearethem.html

Although only the pickiest listeners will cringe when you say these are them, the traditionally correct phrase is these are they, because they is the predicate nominative of these. However, if people around you seem more comfortable with its me than its I, you might as well stick with these are them.

Andy Cost <andycost at embarqmail.com> wrote: My roommate and I got into a heated debate in college.  There were two sets
of items in a box.  He wanted to know which set I was describing.  I said
"these are those".  He said "these are they".  Decades later it is still a
point of contention.  I think he was right but I never capitulated.

Andy
You are subscribed as gkmcc at sbcglobal.net

Datsun-roadsters mailing list

http://www.team.net/archive