[Roadsters] spark plugs - resistor vs non-resistor

Tim tputland at charter.net
Wed Jul 23 12:59:40 MDT 2008

This is new to me: (then again most of it is new to me)

"You must use resistor spark plugs & wires in any vehicle that uses electronic ignitions..."

I run a BG EI dizzy in both of my running Roadsters. While reading the install directions, I do not remember reading that resistor plugs or wires needed to be used. Did I miss that step?

Do I need to be worried about this to the point that I should not drive either car until I get the proper parts?

Thanks

Tim

---- John F Sandhoff <sandhoff at csus.edu> wrote:

=============
In the olden days (think 60's detroit iron, dual points and ballast
resistors), the rule was resistor wire OR resistor plug.

In discussing modern day cars, I'm not sure if that holds any more.
A quick web search turns up things like "You must use resistor spark
plugs & wires in any vehicle that uses electronic ignitions or on-board
computer systems... using a non-resistor plug or low resistance spiral
wound spark plug wire in most applications may actually cause the
engine to suffer undesirable side effects..."

I'm all for resistor plug wires. I'll leave it to others to decide if
resistor
plugs are also called for.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA