[Roadsters] 1600 engine "make-over"

Matthew A. Smith matthews517 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 21 12:19:02 MDT 2008

Hi Chuck,
Color coordination usually helps, especially if you can tie it into the rest
of the car. Loreli is silver and black, but has yellow accents on the horn
button and steering wheel bolts (I have to explain that it's a black Grant
GT 13" steering wheel). Yellow also accents the brake calipers/drums, and
(very carefully done) in the inside of the emblems (where the inside of the
emblem writing was white, it's now matching yellow, as is the black inside
part of the "D" on the 2000 grille.
Finally, I've carried the theme into the engine compartment. I dismantled
the alternator and painted it yellow. I polished the valve cover and painted
it yellow (then carefully removed the paint from the raised areas with very
fine sandpaper, and re-painted the whole thing clear). Yellow Accel spark
plug wires have it NEARLY done.  Finally, a cheap way to make things look
pretty is the $50+ dollar stainless Steel hose cover kit almost every auto
parts house sells. Some shiny heat/sound shield material on the inside of
the hood wouldn't hurt either. Here's a link to what I used.
http://lobucrod.com. A 4'x10' did my hood, trunk lid, and inside my door
panels with plenty to spare.

Matt Smith
Hixson, TN