[Roadsters] Compression vers Octane

Jerry Krakauer jsk977 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 14 12:12:51 MDT 2008

Al,

My experiences, FWIW, from way back. My first BSR U20 engine rebuild used
1600 domed pistons fly cut for valve clearance, +.040 bore and the head was
cut .0005, resulting in a compression ratio of around 12.5:1.  The only way
to avoid knocking/detonation was with Sunoco 260, which if I remember
correctly was 103 octane(RON), with an occasional shot of 100/145 avgas.
With today's R+M/2 octane method that would be about 96 -97 or unobtainable.

My second BSR rebuild went back to +.040 U20 flat top pistons and some
additional head milling, resulting in 36.5cc combustion chamber volume plus
10cc for head gasket and piston to deck area, which computes to 11.7:1.
This engine would run on any brand premium, which if I recall averaged
around 97 - 98 octane(RON) or 93 - 94 today. So with the range your talking
about, I don't think it should be a problem.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099