[Roadsters] Carb Problems are OVER

Jim Gammon gtpjimgammon at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 11:36:58 MDT 2008

I would like to proudly announce the rebirth of a 1969 SRL-311 2000cc
roadster.

It will take a lot to whipe this grin off my face.

It was the fuel.

I drained out as much as I could and put in 2.5 gallons of premium.

I took her around the block. At first, no better, then she stopped spitting
and coughing as much. (Backfire through the carbs and exhaust) She seemed to
smooth out. I chanced the main road, 35 mph speed limit.

I had to coax her up to speed, no more than 2500 rpm, low load. But she
smoothed out more, and I poked the throttle, no cough, no spit. I downshifted
and gave her a little gas, she responded like a Datsun for the first time. I
slowed to 25 and gave her the gun, she revved up to 65 no problem at 5000 rpm
or so. Don't ask me about gears,I don't recall. I was zoned out.

Knowing 65 is too darn fast in a 35 zone, and that the engine needs to break
in, I quickly resumed proper speeds.

She positively purrs. I filled the tank, and drove home.

It may be raining on and off, cloudy and humid, but it is a beautiful day.

My thanks to all who helped, but it was an old boat mechanic relative who
listened to the symptoms and said "Bad gas". He sees old gas problems all the
time in the pleasure boat business.

FYI, stock cam 69 2000, with no-smog distributor, 16 degrees advance.
Completely rebuilt from hot tanked block on up. Stans chains, ZTherapy carbs,
tubing headers, previous owner's exhaust (that is restrictive), rebuilt trans,
new front suspension. Needs new rear, have one in the box. (old one has a
slight whine)

Now I work on the interior and exterior, not bad. (grin)

Proud Pappa

Jim Gammon
Manaquan, NJ
1969 SRL-311 2000