[Roadsters] Carb Saga - Almost done!

Jim Gammon gtpjimgammon at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 14:45:23 MDT 2008

Well, I got in my backup set of carbs from Z Therapy. I have to say these guys
are a class act.

1969 SRL 311 2000.

The video is wonderful, the carbs beautiful. I put them in, set them up and
she ran. I tuned her up and all went very easy. Except two things.

More on the NEW problems in a minute.

I did discover something wrong with the car. I had not removed the insulators
the first time, because they were very securely glued to the mainfold. But
this time I did. I found that some nimcompoop had not done it right many years
ago. Part of one gasket between the insulator and the manifold was missing,
and I expect that air leak was my problem in the past. I'd guess .005 x 1/2",
enough to cause havoc, but be unseen.

On the the LATEST problems.

I put in the new ZTherapy carbs, and had no problem until I went to do the
high speed synchronization. With the balanace screw REMOVED, the rear carb
open first. There is no adjustment. I believe it is in correctly. I had to
make a shim to take up the slop (about .030) in the front linkage interface to
get them equal.

That being done, the engine idling perfectly and a sappy smile on my face, I
got in to run around the block. No problem until I gave it gas. Back fire
through the carbs. If I baby it a bit, it is minor, and drivable, but who
wants to baby a 2000? Not me.

So I check the timing, 16 degrees just like datsunroadster said for my no smog
dizzy. Perhaps the points are off, but I don't think that would cause this,

I set the valve clearances perfectly last time.

HELP! Anyone have any ideas?

So near and yet still further.

Jim Gammon

New Jersey