[Roadsters] Starter gone or going?

Pat Pat at HorneSystemsTx.com
Fri Jul 4 12:01:49 MDT 2008

Ritchie,

Sounds like you may have either a sticking bendix or starter solenoid,
probably both. You can remove the solenoid with the starter in the car,
but it isn't easy. I'd drop the starter out and take the solenoid off
and check for gummed up grease. Same on the bendix. Both of these can be
done without opening up the starter itself. Re-lube sparingly with
thick, high temperature grease. Not much is needed. You can take the
starter to an auto parts house for testing afterward.

While the starter is out take a look at the teeth on the flywheel. Our
engines usually come to a stop in one of 2 positions, so the ring gear
gets worn more in these locations than the rest of the way around. If it
is really worn you may need a new ring gear. An old trick it to press
the ring gear off and turn it around so that the unworn side of the gear
now engages the starter. Also, you can move the ring gear 90 degrees so
that good teeth are in the location where worn teeth were. All of these
require removing the flywheel. Ring gears used to be available at a
decent price, but I haven't bought one in years.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Ritchie Labate:

--