[Roadsters] How do you tighten that nut?

Matthew A. Smith matthews517 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 19:09:36 MDT 2008

You know the one. That nut behind the rear header tube, under the back
Solex. It's too far to reach from the front, snaking your arm under the
carbs. The starter is in the way to do it from below. I can't quite reach
from under the inner fender and above the frame with the car jacked up and
the front tire off.

My only thought is to pull the carb(s) off the intake manifold, tighten the
nuts, and re-assemble the carb(s) onto the manifold. (I don't want to do
this if I can help it).

The car is running INSANELY well, except for the cloud of steam coming out
of the car when I punch it. Coolant is leaking from the water passage which
goes from the head into the intake manifold, at the gasket. It sprays down
onto (and into) the header and makes a LOT of steam.

New head gasket, new valve seats, new valve seals, new timing chains,
beautiful (if I do say so myself) yellow alternator and valve cover, new
gaskets all over the place, new heater hoses, and new fuel hoses.

I'll put up some of the pix AFTER she's done. I've taken pictures throughout
the process.

Dean. YOU ROCK!!!!!

Hey, I got to buy $700 worth of new Craftsman tools too! :-)

Matt (bloody knuckle) Smith, in TN

And Loreli (She's a STEAMY hot 70 SRL Solex)