[Roadsters] 2000 engine pull ?s

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:05:23 MST 2008

> quick and dirty way to do it: just pull the eng. and trans. forward and
> pull the u joint piece off the end of the  drive shaft.(it is splined).
> it needs to be oriented properly going back together, though. also,
> its extremely hard to put it back on the end of the drive shaft while
> installing the eng. and trans.

Or, undo the four bolts at the differential end and pull the main
driveshaft. During the pull/reinstall, you need to be careful to not
snag or damage the short splined end still on the tranny, but that's
not too difficult to rig up a way to hold the U-joint straight. After
the assembly is back in, reinstall the driveshaft at your leisure.

Note that the U20/5spd is a good deal longer than the R/4spd. I've
always pulled the radiator and upper support bar to give myself a
less-steep tilt angle.

Don't forget the ground straps and oil sender hose :-)

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA