[Roadsters] Legally compliant engine cleaning

Bubba bubwin at mts.net
Mon Dec 15 12:07:44 MST 2008

When I pulled wrenches for the local Phone Company for years, we bought
Simple Green in 45 gallon drums (55 gallon for those in the US) in
concentrate form.  We mixed it with water and used one of those pump up
sprayers used to kill weeds.  We used this to de-grease everything up to and
including Caterpillars, Back-hoes and fork lifts.  Spray it on the DRY
engine.  Thoroughly saturate it, and let it soak, but not to the point where
it dries.  Then hit it with the pressure washer.  If you're using a pump
bottle, one bottle will do 4 tires, and one engine compartment.

Works good on the tires!  Once again, spray it on DRY tires, but no need to
go quite as heavy as under the hood.  Pressure wash just before it dries.

I've used Simple Green and Fantastic, with similar results, but Simpe Green
is more Environmentally Friendly.

I washed vehicles in this order
.
1)    Use first 1/2 Bottle under the hood, heavily on the (preferrably) warm
engine, more heavily on dirtier areas
2)    Wet all 4 tires tillit just starts to run down
3)    Return to engine compartment and empty rest of bottle on Battery wheel
wells firewall under hood if not insulated etc.
4)    Pressure wash the tires start at the bottom and work your way around
and up each tire.  Get the nozzle real close.
5)    Pressure wash the engine.  Get the nozzle real close except electrical
components, where you back off a bit.
6)    Pressure wash rest of engine compartment.  Get the nozzle real close.
Careful (back off) on electrical components and connectors.
7)    Wash rest of vehicle. normally
8)    Hope it starts.  If it doesn't you blasted electrical components too
hard.

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 Missy
1967-1600 Bender