[Roadsters] 5 speed tranny - good news/bad news: Do not fret about highway RPM

Jim InVirginia nqrithfordatsun at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 05:55:53 MST 2007

Pete,

My 96 Miata turns 4,000 RPM at 75mph, which works out to only 38mph or so at
2K.  15 inch wheels with 195X50 Kumhos.  I think it has 4.10 gears.

So, be happy for the improvement you got with your five speed!   It sounds
like it should be about right, but if you want a little less RPM you could
make sure you have the 2L cars 3.70 gears instead of the 1600 cars 3.89
gears.

Our cars will never be lazy american engines, but then again they dont have
the displacement to support low RPM torque either.  And, the best part,
engines tuned for higher RPM HP = fun to drive....so enjoy the ride.

Just my two cents for a Sunday Morning.   I guess newer cars with variable
valve timing can have a bit of the best of both worlds.....

Jim
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:31:01 -0800> Subject: [Roadsters] 5 speed tranny -
good news/bad news> > Good News> It is IN!!!!!! - smooth and indeed I often
forget to shift from 4 to 5 - > have to be careful when downshifting - have
heard a few protests from > reverse <G>> > Bad News> Tested the car at my smog
guys place and am only getting 43/44 mph @ 2000 > rpm. Problem is the 14 inch
panasports w/low profile tyres - still it is > certainly an improvement - but
not as dramatic as I had hoped - 'splains my > somewhat low mpg tho'> > Could
someone out there with stock wheels/tires let me know what the full >
diameter(including tires) is - just want to do the calculations for the > heck
of it.> > Peter> 1970 SPL Roadster TOAD SAN (Eliza)