[Roadsters] Was cleaning carbs / Now pre-ISO threads

Keith0alan at aol.com Keith0alan at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 10:05:56 MST 2007

In a message dated 12/18/2007 9:03:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
aultgc at jorsm.com writes:

Folks,

Remember that Hitachi copied SU carbs (under license, I  presume). They
probably used Whitworth Standard (British) threads.   Has anyone ever tried
to use genuine SU dome screws from Moss Motors or  the like?  Somewhere in
the back of my aging mind I seem to recall  being told that they're a 27
pitch thread, as opposed to 28 pitch, which  would be SAE.  Close, but no
cigar.  My guess is theBritish  parts will work, but I really don't know.

Gary  Ault

Nope, won't work. The early carbs (1500, most 1600, some 2000) are  5x.75
pre-ISO metric. Some 1600, most 2L and the Z carbs are 5x.8 ISO  metric. If
anyone has found a source for the 5x.75 screws I would love to hear  about it.

keith