[Roadsters] Headlights drain battery

Pat Horne roadsters at hornesystemstx.com
Sat Dec 15 17:07:22 MST 2007

I agree with Graeme. Another thing you should check is a slack fan belt.

A few questions to figure out exactly what you have:
-Is this something new, or has this problem been with you for some time?
-Are you running stock alternator/regulator, or an upgraded (GM?)
charging system?
-Are the headlights stock, or upgraded?
-Are all the pulleys stock size?
-Are there any signs that the electrical system has been modified?

With the engine, key, headlights and any other load turned off, does the
ammeter sit at zero? It should. If it reads negative there is a problem
with the ammeter which may not need to be corrected., as long as you
know that zero is whatever negative reading you saw with everything off
and your running reading is at
least that high at an idle, you will be fine.

If you have a volt meter, with the headlights on, connect it from the
battery negative terminal to the positive post on the back of the
alternator. You should get about 13.5V at idle. If that is too low the
battery will be supplying power to the headlights, causing the ammeter
to read negative. Bet it checked out by someone who knows electrical
systems..

I am not familiar with the connection so the back of the later year
ammeters, but I doubt it would cause this problem, but on my 67.5, they
are 1/4" quick disconnects that are sometimes flaky. I know they were on
my car and cleaning them up took care of a few mysterious electrical
problems I was having.

Where are you located?

Peace,
Pat