[Roadsters] heater core

Hall, Phillip B. (MSFC-ED03) Phillip.B.Hall at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 4 11:17:30 MST 2007

 I remember back in the day, the radiator shops built their own cores
from tubing and rolls of copper in which they ran through a machine to
press it into the fins.  I thought I found a shop here in town that an
old guy ran that could build cores.  I needed a new radiator for my 46
Ford tractor.  He no longer built cores and buys them as Bob was saying.
The labor is just too high.  So, I bought a radiator from China for half
the core replacement charge.

Which brings up another point. Labor in the US has gotten very high.
Try having a car painted, worked on, or components rebuilt, the cost is
crazy.  People approach me on a weekly basis to help them do simple
repairs on their older cars.  The cost to have a shop do it often
outweighs the value of the car.  So, my driveway always has a car in it
for repairs which I do only for the cost of parts (doing an engine
rebuild in a '98 Blazer now - two valve cover gasket replacements in the
wings).  Will we see the costs go so high that we may see the craftsmen
come back to rebuild and just not R&R?  I hope we see the craftsmen come
back.  I have great memories of Richard Crowley at 80 years old
rebuilding my alternators and starters in his dirt floor little shop and
the cost was half if you stayed and talked to him as he worked on your
stuff.  In the meantime, help others out with your talents - it will go
further then you think.

Have a great day everyone!

Phil
SEROC