[Roadsters] Radiator cap question

Pat Horne roadsters at hornesystemstx.com
Sat Aug 18 07:00:10 MDT 2007

Michael,

That cap can be repaired if the metal is in good shape. That cap has no
pressure rating, just a flat cap with a sheet of rubber in it to seal
off the tower. Find a sheet of thick rubber gasket material and cut a
piece to fit. I did this to my cap quite a few years ago and it hasn't
leaked since. If you can't find sheet gasket material, check around for
a radiator cap or gas cap that you can get a large enough piece of
material out of to make the seal. It doesn't have to cover the whole
cap, just around the edge where it seals to the neck.

Also, look closely at the sealing surface on the neck. They get rough,
which causes damage to the gasket, as well as allows small spaces for
leakage. If it is rough, take the neck off and carefully rub it on a
piece of fine sand paper on a flat surface. Don't go overboard, just
enough to get a good seal.

Good luck.
Peace,
Pat