[Roadsters] Ready for machine shop (was vewwy quiet)

Marc&Heidi mtyler at hctc.net
Wed Aug 8 09:07:15 MDT 2007

Well, the R-16 is down to its bare block.  No holes in pistons, but
wear on cam and lifters, and some wear on #s 2 an 3 con-rod
bearings.  Bearings were all stamped STD so this may be the first
time it's been gone into.  The reason for the teardown was a pretty
miserable result from a leakdown test.  So it will be off to Long's
machine in San Antonio in the near future.  I think I'll wait for
cooler weather to start stripping paint and doing bodywork.  In the
meantime I'll probably be agonizing on what, if any mods will be made
to the engine.  Some of that will depend on the condition of the
cylinder bores and head.  A mild cam?  besides possibly idle, what
would the downside be?  Depends on the grind, of course.  Does anyone
have any experience with the mild street cam for the 1600 that Dean
sells?

-Marc