[Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes

Paul J. Amoroso, CPA amo-cpa at comcast.net
Sun May 15 22:10:55 MDT 2016

Hi;

I had a similar problem with mine last summer.

First make _sure_ the _three_ little screws are out - in the front side
of the drum, as you look at it.  You mentioned you did.

My wheel cylinder leaked all over the shoe and ate into and expanded the
lining.  So it was crumbling and rolling up on itself to resist the drum
from sliding past it.  I finally determined that even if I ruined the
drum, I had to get it off of there.  I held a crowbar behind the back
edge of the drum, prying and putting pressure on it to slide it out, and
took a four pound hammer and just kept hitting it - very hard - in the
front and out towards the corner edge.  I pried the crowbar at different
places too. Then all of a sudden it started to move.  Success!

Hope yours would do the same.

Good luck on your 41 year old - it's a '75 - by the S/N.  (Mine is too.)

Paul Amoroso

Pittsburgh, PA