[Bricklin] How to fasten the front wheel bearing

diraxel at hush.com diraxel at hush.com
Tue May 17 06:54:55 MDT 2016

Sven,

I had to replace my front wheel bearings last year, and unfortunately, the passenger side failed after 600 km. I think the wheel nut was probably tightened a bit too much: the nuts were backed off about a 1/4 turn (according to AMC documentation). I inquired about that on the mailing list right here, and according to the feedback I got (thank you again guys ;), it is supposed to be tightened until the hub binds while turning, then backed off about a half turn, rather than a 1/4 turn. Granted, it may depends too on how tight the nut is originally tightened...
Eventually, when I replaced the bearings again, the nuts were tightened until they binded (turn your disc/rotor from times to times to eliminate the slack), but then with a half turn, the nut really felt loose, so it was rather backed off about a third turn. I put more than a thousand kilometers on the odometer, drove the car in the tight curves of a mountainous area and both sides have been fine.