[Bricklin] Door will not open using switch alone

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 13:54:20 MDT 2010

At 10:38 AM 7/18/2010, Rick Forfar wrote:

 >Drivers side door:
 >
 >Door will not open using switch.  However, by pulling the safety
latch and pressing the switch inside at the
 >same time the door will open.  In addition, the door will also open
by pulling the safety latch and pressing
 >the switch on the outside of the car.

 >I have checked that the solenoid is pulling properly by closing the
latch with the door up with a screwdriver,
 >the latch will release perfectly every time.  So, I am confused why
when I close the door and press the switch
 >to go up (and hear the latch release) why does the door not go up?

Rick,

While you test is a good attempt, it's not a good simulation.  The
Screwdriver doesn't present any resistance to
the latch.  But when the door is closed, there is pressure placed on
the latch, from the seals (if nothing else)
other wise the door would rattle.  It's possible that the wire
between the roof and the door which handles the
current for the solenoid, has enough strands broken that it can't
handle enough current to fire the solenoid with
the resistance.

 >Passenger side door:
 >
 >Door will no longer go up or down via air cylinder (just by
manually lifting or slowly dropping back down).
 >When I was in the process of fixing the solenoid and safety latch
setup in the passenger side door somehow
 >the air stopped working.  If I press the switch inside or outside
the car you can hear and see the safety latch
 >releasing but no signal is being sent to open or close the door.  Any ideas?

This sounds like the wire that controls the signal to the air
distribution board is not getting to the solenoid.
Possible causes are a bad switch, wire has come off the switch,
broken wire between the switch and the
solenoid.

Since you say the door will not go up or down, then the only thing
common to both is the power supplied to
the switches.

We have done many articles in The Brickline on the subject, including
wiring diags.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va