[Bricklin] Idling question

isensee at aol.com isensee at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 20:07:24 MDT 2010

 The carburetor may be getting hot enough to boil the gas. Today's gas has a
higher vapor pressure than it did in the 70s. That isn't a problem for the new
cars which are all fuel injected, but is bad news for carburetors. One thing
that often helps is to put a thicker gasket under the carburetor to insulate
it a bit from heat coming up from the engine. You can also insulate the fuel
line up near the carb. You can also try gas from different stations. Some are
supposed to be less prone to the problem. I have also heard that premium is
less likely to boil since it has little or no ethanol in it.

 Scott