[Bricklin] Car will not start. Any suggestions

Greg Schroeder gschroeder at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 23:51:34 MDT 2010

OK, looks like I have found the problem.  It seems that I had tightened the
rockers just a little bit to much this time. I had used the same method
several times while trying to fight the issue with the correct thread sealent
and rocker studs coming loose.  I must have gotten away with it the other
times.  I was getting some compression, but nothing like when I back the nut
of the rocker 1/8 of a turn.  This allowed me to get it started.  I will have
to mess with the timing some time later.

I had replaced the distributor and rotor button (cap) and it did not seem to
affect anything.  So I decided to go back to watch the rockers as it started
to make sure they were still moving.  They seemed to be moving and lubricating
fine.  I decided to check the compression and it just did not seem to be
enough.  (A time I wish I had a gauge.)  So I deicided to back the nut off the
number one cylinder 1/8 of a turn and check it again.  I could definitely tell
a difference on the intake and compression stroke.  I went back through and
did the same to the rest of the rockers, replaced the number one plug and it
almost started.  After moving the distributor it ran for a little while.
Since I had some vacuum hose removed to remove the valve covers I knew it was
not going to run smoothly.

This forced me to go a couple of things I had put off like the new distributor
and cap.  Maybe with any luck I can get the timing set more accurate this
time.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Greg 0036