[Bricklin] Cleveland vs Windsor

JLC breton48 at live.com
Tue Jul 21 11:02:33 MDT 2009

I had cars with both 351W and 351C engines. The stock Cleveland has better
heads than the Windsor, especially the Cleveland 4V. The Windsor has the
bigger mains and better oiling system. Parts for the Windsor ought to be
more plentiful and cheaper.

Here are some of the differences:

Windsor:
5 bolt valve covers
Thermostat on intake
Timing cover is part of the block

Cleveland:
8 bolt valve covers
Thermostat on front of block
External aluminum timing cover

They are both small blocks, but the Cleveland is wider than the Windsor due
to taller deck height (9.123" vs 8.206")

Below is some info I originally got from a website:

351C Engines by VIN Tag Engine Code

Code   Engine Type       Comment

H        351C-2V         Generic low compression 351C, '70-74

M        351C-4V         Somewhat Rare, High Compression, '70-71  only

R        351C-4V Boss    Very Rare, High Compression, Solid Lifters,  "Boss
351", 1971 only

R        351C-4V HO      Very  Rare, Low Compression, Solid Lifters,  "High
Output" 1972 only

Q        351C-4V CJ      Rare, Low Compression, "Cobra-Jet" May 1971/, '72,

Q        351C-4V CJ      Rare, Low Compression, "Cobra-Jet", 1973-74,
decreased performance, see 4V section notes.

JLC