[Bricklin] AMC Rod Bearings

Greg Schroeder gschroeder at comcast.net
Sat Apr 25 21:13:56 MDT 2009

OK, getting to the frustration point with this.  I did one other rebuild
last year and did not have this much trouble with the pistons.  The hardest
part was trying to remove an over torqued balancer.

It seems that after I install four pistons (1,2,3,4) I cannot move the crank
to get the 5,6 where I can make the installation?  Is this normal?  My last
build I did not have this issue, it was just as smooth with each piston I
installed but it was a straight six.  I have soaked top of the pistons in
oil before installation which help some on the install, but does not seem to
affect their movement after installation.

I checked the clearance of the rod bearings with plasticgage and it was
.004.  Then I read an article about using plastigage and they indicate it is
not an accurate measurement.  One piston installed seems to work without any
drag, so I believe that the rod bearing clearence is OK.

I have removed all the pistons again to check the crank and make sure there
is no drag from the mains.  Moves nice and smooth.

I tried to purchase an older gap gage to check the gap between the two rods
and it seems the one auto parts I checked did not have them.  I am hoping
that this is where my issue lies. Is there a trick to keep the gap while
installing? Is there any issue with installing the pistons all on one side
(1,3,5,7) and then the other (2,4,6,8)?  This would help me eliminate the
new rings as the issue and point back this gap.

Greg 0036