[Bmcu] Recent virus/spam to the BMCU list

Andrew Frink andrew at drooartz.com
Sat Nov 13 20:09:15 MST 2010

BMCU members-

Recently a few virus emails have made it into our email list. These come from
member's computers or email accounts that have been compromised by the bad
guys. You will recognize these emails as they have no subject and have just a
link as the body of the email.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS

This is one of many such email attacks going around these days (I work in IT
for a school district, so see a lot of this stuff on a daily basis). As
always, please practice good email safety and never click on any email that is
not expected or is remotely suspicious.

The members in question have been notified that their machines have been
compromised, and have been temporarily removed from the email list. We here at
BMCU central (okay, just Mark Bradakis and myself) are doing all we can to
keep the list safe, but we do need all of you to do your part to keep your
individual machines safe and secure. The modern Internet world is an unsafe
place, and the simple fact is that the bad guys are getting smarter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off list and I will
be happy to chat. If you think your computer has been compromised, please call
your tech support line or a reputable computer repair facility. If you don't
know where to go, I have a good friend and colleague who can help.

-Drew Frink