[Bmcu] MG Starter for Sale

Charles Easton eastoncp at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 14:55:50 MDT 2007

Hi Folks,

  I've inherited an MGB (late model 1968-1980) high-torque, gear reduction starter that I can't use. It's brand new with a few oil smudges. New ones cost $200.00. I'm asking $100.00.

  Let me know if you're interested.

  Thanks,

  Chuck

  From www.tsimportedautomotive.com:

  General Information:
  Solenoid Design - The inherent design of the Lucas solenoid is very susceptible to Hot Start Syndrome. This is because the windings of the solenoid are encapsulated in steel. There is simply no means for the heat to dissipate. The solenoid for our Hi-Torque starter is encased in aluminum. Inside the area for the solenoid there is the equivalent of 1/2 cup volume of air. Further, it is equipped with a vent hole. Every time the solenoid is engaged, it pushes (pulls) cooler air into the solenoid area thus virtually eliminating the Hot Start Syndrome.d
  Gear Ratio - The gear ratio of the starter is 4.44:1 which enables the starter to develop its unique torque values.
  Bearings vs Bushings - The Hi-Torque starter is equipped with five (5) full roller bearings while the typical Lucas unit uses two (2) bushings to suspend the armature.

   Technical Data
      No load condition @ 11.5 wolts
      Max current (amps) - 90 or less
      Minimum speed (rpm) - 3000 or more

   Load condition
      8.0 volts are minimum voltage requirements
      Torque - .65 kg-n
      Maximum current (amps) - 250 or less
      Minimum speed (rpm) - 1180 or more

   Lock test
      Voltage - 2.5v (at least 7:1 CR)
      Max current (amps) - 300 or less
      Minimum torque (kg - n) - .7 or more

  Specifications
   Voltages - 12v
   Output - 1kn
   Rating (seconds) - 30 seconds
   Torque rating - 534 ft. lbs
  NOTE: Torque rating is based on a 9 tooth pinion gear.