[Bmcu] Mini Club of Utah Outing.

Michael Scoggins stradi at xmission.com
Mon Jun 25 06:59:50 MDT 2007

So Sunday Mary and I went on the Mini Club of Utah's drive. We left Foothill
village around ten after meeting new drivers and coffee at start bucks. Handed
out a bunch of the BCMU cards and had some interested from some of the mini
drivers. I meet one couple that drove down from Wyoming that morning for the
drive. There were 35 to 40 cars that showed up. All of them were the newer
version mini. Most the Cooper S and a few of the younger drive had their cars
heavily modified.

We then headed up parleys then down to Heber for a sit down brunch at the Inn
on the Creek. It is a quant hotel/restaurant that had set up for us. Not
really cheap at $20 a head but good food, nice surroundings, and a great
meeting place. Another idea for the BMCU. They had a raffle with prizes
provided by Mini of Utah. Ended up winning a cd case with the mini logo.

There is a difference between the two clubs. The BMCU likes a more leisurely
drive putting our old cars through their paces. The mini club has a bit
different idea of what a drive is. 90 to 100 mph up parleys. Great fun because
the cars will do it with ease but trying to keep the group together was
interesting. Not all were traveling at that rate, I certainly wasn't (yea
right, I think I remember something about chasing a certain green MGB with a
v8 up trappers loop). Then there were the slower more sane group behind. I
heard last year on this run they had the Highway Patrol chasing some of the
group with numerous tickets given out. When the group was together it was a
great sight to see 35 minis traveling in single file.

We then headed over the alpine loop from the Provo canyon side. They actually
waited at the toll booth to let any cars that were up ahead get way up ahead
so some spirited driving could be done. They even said slower cars to the back
as there is no passing. I was towards the back. A bit irresponsible in my
mind. This drive always tests any car and it was really fun to put these
little high powered go cats through their paces.

All in all it was a great day. As car people there aren't much different then
the members of the BMCU, fun, interested cross section, and above all nice and
not too snobby. The group just has a bit different slant.

See every one at the next BMCU event

Michael Scoggins
Membership Director