[Alpines] Alpines Pistons

Joe McConlogue baltoalpine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:14:10 MST 2015

Dave,

Been a while since I saw a 73 signoff! You can get .040 pistons from Rick at
Sunbeam Specialties. His catalog lists them as EP-54, $84 each.

Joe

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:27:47 GMT
From: "D W Spearing" <kb9csw at juno.com>
To: alpines at autox.team.net
Subject: [Alpines] Alpine pistons

Hi,A few years back, about five, I rebuilt my Sunbeam Alpine 1725cc engine.
I had to bore it out to .040 over and I used some pistons purchased from
Victoria British. They did not look like any other pistons that I have ever
seen, and I have see quite a few, as they had a slot down the camshaft side
rather then the usual four holes up near the oil ring groove. I expected a
bit of oil use after the overhaul, but it kept getting worse and worse, not
better, to the point that I was laying down a blue cloud as I drove; it sure
kept people from following to close! Last fall I pulled the engine apart and
discovered that all of the pistons had broken skirts and the oil rings did
not appear to expand as I had expected (photo at
:http://www.madbrits.org/DS.gif)!
Further the oil pressure pegged and ruined the pressure gauge! So the
questions are: Where do I find better quality .040 pistons? and does anyone
have a working oil pressure relief valve which will fit a 1725 cc Alpine
engine (I have not checked it out yet, perhaps a cleaning is all I need)?
73 de Dave KB9CSW
David Wm Spearing
 kb9csw at juno.com
Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54dcf0d37126770d35454st02vuc