[Alpines] rear axle question

Lauri Lehtinen lehtinen.lauri at kolumbus.fi
Tue Dec 24 03:06:33 MST 2013

A special shop made me a correct prop shaft using Mercedes, BMW and Ford
shafts as raw material. European cars of 60s and 70s had only few
different universal joints and splines plus bolt joints. Shaft was then
friction-welded and balanced. Problem was to make a rear fixing plate,
because OD & gearbox are from a later Humber.

I have seen a series 2 Alpine with later Humber engine and OD box. It was
fixed by moving whole engine forward, then cutting a hole for radiator to
bring it forward too. It looked quite awful.

Solenoid relay + switch I found from eBay.

I have had problems with jumping gears, I hope I can fix it with new pilot
bearing and engine and gearbox mounting rubbers.

Merry Christmas for all of you!

Ldhettdjd: jacranwell at aol.com [mailto:jacranwell at aol.com]
Ldhetetty: 24. joulukuuta 2013 10:13
Vastaanottaja: lehtinen.lauri at kolumbus.fi; bmounce at rcn.com;
alpines at autox.team.net
Aihe: Re: [Alpines] rear axle question

Hi Lauri,

The main thing is to make sure you have the O/D propshaft, which is shorter
than the standard unit. Then you'll need to wire up the solenoid and switch.

Merry Christmas.

Julian.