[Alpines] rear axle question

jacranwell at aol.com jacranwell at aol.com
Mon Dec 23 08:43:26 MST 2013

As many cars have had the diff replaced, the only way to check is as follows.

Jack up one rear wheel. Mark the top of the tyre and the side of the prop with
paint or tape. Turn the wheel through 10 revolutions, at the same time have a
mate count the number or revs for the prop.

Then calculate the diff ratio. I think the ratio is doubled, as only one wheel
is turning, so a 4.22 diff should give a ratio of 8.44., and 3.89 a ratio of
7.78, etc.

Julian
SIII, awaiting O/D, when I get around to it.