[Alpines] VIN break for Ser. V rear bumpers

rande rande at thecia.net
Mon Jul 30 07:38:49 MDT 2012

Let me answer some of these issues, as they occur to me.

I used the term VIN, because in this former colony, around 1981, the local Federal
colonists, charged with such matters, decreed that all cars made for US sale
should have the same type of information in the same position for each car,
regardless of manufacturer, to wit the first digit refers to the country of
origin ( 1 for US, 2 for Canada, 3 for Mexico, 4 for either Australia or Kentucky
- don't ask, I don't know why either, J for Japan, W for West Germany, S for
Great Britain, etc.) Tenth digit is for the year model, don't want to explain
that here, ask offline.
I'm a parts guy, and whether it's BMW or Ford, the term VIN is part of the catalogue
process, that's why I personally am used to using the term.

Jeff, of course you're correct, Rootes used 'Chassis Nos.'for their parts catalogue.
As I had photocopied a Tiger 'Chassis Nos.' last night, I had only to look three
inches away from the monitor to verify that. As for being 'Knighted' at a big
house,
here in the former colony we refer to the 'big house' as the place you are sent
to when you are caught 'nicking' both the chassis number plate and the car it's
attached to. Maybe, you meant 'big house' in the same vein that the Vanderbilts
referred to their 40 room homes in Newport, RI as 'cottages', except you were
referring to the Windsors of Buckingham and Balmoral.

I.E., no swords nor Queens in our 'big houses", one can only guess.