[Alpines] Sudden oil pressure drop off

D W Spearing kb9csw at juno.com
Fri Mar 5 15:22:54 MST 2010

Hi,

I have a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine Series V.  One day I drove it to work and the oil
pressure was find; 45 psig hot cold idle or full bore and it has been that way
since new and through two overhauls, until that day!  I got into town and
stopped at the stop sign and the oil pressure dropped off to almost zero at
idle!  It came up when I revved it a bit but then back down it went.  Yes, the
first thing I did was look at the dip stick and that was ok.

It was starting to burn a bit of oil so I decided perhaps it is time to
overhaul it.  I bored it out to .040 Over and installed new: pistons, bearings
(crank,rod and cam), valves, oil pump, fuel pump, timing chain and gears, and
had the cam reground and lifters refaced.  I checked the running clearance of
the bearings and they are within tolerance.  I also checked and cleaned the
oil pressure relief valve and the oil cooler valve.  Further, I checked the
oil pressure gauge with another gauge and they both read the same through the
full range.

I started it up and when it got warm the oil pressure fell off as before, even
with 20W 50 oil in it.

Any thought as to what caused the sudden oil pressure loss?  Has it happened
to anyone else?

---
73
DE Dave KB9CSW