[Alpines] Head gasket

Andy Walker awtiger at cox.net
Sun Sep 21 20:55:08 MDT 2008

Rocco:

You didn't say in your e-mail whether or not you did the water jacket
pass-through modification on your head gasket.  I'm assuming that you didn't
and, running that kind of compression, I'm not surprised at all that you're
blowing head gaskets.  I"m assuming you're blowing the compression ring out
between the water jackets, right?  Due to the design of the head and the
gasket in that area, the head gasket is inherently weak there and, under
racing stresses, will fail with alarming regularity.

First of all, there's no need to o-ring the block.  That's expensive and
probably won't solve your problem.  As far as sealers go, a good dose of
CopperCoat is about as good as you can get.  Assuming you're using that,
then you're in good shape there.

Now, for the fix.  There's two ways to go about getting this to quit
happening.  First, contact Mr. Dunst at Gasket Works USA, LLC
http://www.headgasket.com/ .  He has the proper template and can make you a
solid copper gasket in the thickness of your choice with water passage
"holes" that match the water jacket holes in the block instead of the long
curved opening that the stock gasket has to match the head.  Just doing this
alone will give the gasket the strength it needs to stand up to the big
compression number you're running.  The way the head is made will still
allow the water to circulate above the gasket between the water jacket holes
in the head.  Okay...that's fix #1.

Fix #2, if you want to go all the way with it, is to have that recessed area
between the water jackets in the head welded up and machined flat.  This
will give maximum strength to the new copper head gasket in the water jacket
area.  Almost every serious Sunbeam racer has done either one or both of
these modifications.  Personally, I put the copper head gasket on my car but
did not do the head modification.  I was going to but my head has already
been shaved to the point of no return.  However, you can bet that the next
head I build will have that modification done to it right off the bat.

If you contact Mr. Dunst at Gasket Works, just tell him that Andy Walker
with the Sunbeam in Edmond, OK sent you and tell him what you need.  I'm
sure he'll fix you right up.  You may contact me anytime if you need further
info or help.

Thanks and good luck,
Andy