[6pack] front seal

rmf3860 rmf3860 bobfabie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:27:57 MDT 2022

Dave,

The “front seal” you refer to is the one pressed onto the timing chain
cover. The associated part that provides the surface on which the oil seal
rides, is the  crankshaft oil sleeve. Both of these parts are pretty
standard and readily available.

Another common source of front oil leaks is the front engine sealing block.
The front of the oil pan and the lower part of the timing cover bolt onto
this engine sealing block. Often, the threads of the original aluminum
sealing block get stripped and it causes an oil leak. Goodparts sells a
superior steel block that I’ve used and recommend. They also sell the front
oil seal and crank sleeve.

The leak could also be from a failing gasket on the oil pan or timing chain
cover. If you replace the front oil seal, the crank sleeve  and the engine
sealing block, you’ll end up replacing both of these gaskets as well.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Fredericksburg, VA