[6pack] These new sun visors suck

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 04:13:57 MST 2020

 Hi - If you have one or more original sun visors that you can "donate" to research, pull out the bar and examine it closely. On my car (original owner), the bar had a slight curve to it over the length of the bar. When I got new visors way back (like at least 15 years ago), I pulled the bars out to transfer to the new visors and upon examination thought - "crud, somehow, I bent the bar" and proceeded to straighten it. Carefully. That sucker was arrow-straight by the time I was done re-forming it. I installed it in the car. Well, then the new visor just hung there in the down position and more or less just flopped around. I tried crimping the metal tube that's inside the visor with very limited success. Eventually, I put two and two together and realized the error in my ways - that I had straightened the metal bar and thus there was no tension to keep the visor from flapping / flopping.
Just as a warning - when I tried to crimp the metal tube, I would up making tooth marks from the pliers in the visor. Normally, I go for function over form, but for some reason those marks made me a little crazy. Well, crazier than normal. In any case, if you try to crimp do so with the caution that you might make noticeable marks in the visor. You've been warned.
To be honest, I'm really glad these became visors available again and I am grateful that TRF made the effort to make them available. 'Nuff sed. So, try to see if your old visor bars had that little hook in them and see if you can transfer that dimension to the new parts.

Regards,Bob LangTR6's