[6pack] '75 TR6 project update

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 06:00:12 MST 2019

<mohawktriumphs at aol.com> wrote:

> Rick,
> Keep up the good work ! It is inspiring to us dolts who have
> TR's waiting for us ...

Thank you,
   My long-winded post was just a brain dump, having awakened far too early
and written while pondering my own restoration motives. That was a day or
two ago. Here is the plan for today.
   You know that little triangle-shaped brace at the rear of a TR6's door
opening? It's an upholstered piece of sheetmetal covered on the edge and
inside first by a piece of folded heavy card stock, then vinyl. Well,
recovering those little buggers was the last restoration step that I
addressed. That was a few days ago. Today, I hope to complete that job.
   The upholstery kit includes the bulk vinyl for these braces, as well as
the cards. Before leaving my shop last time, I cemented the vinyl to the
outside faces of the triangles. I used carpet cement rather than contact
cement so the vinyl's position could be adjust for a precise fit. The card
stock provided another problem.
   Although the card is pre-cut and scored at the bend point between edge
and side, the stock is so stiff that it is really difficult to bend to the
required 90° angle! I first thought of using pliers to bend the edge
section over but decided that damage was more likely than precision. So
today, I am going to bring the cards home from the shop and reshape them in
my garage where I have to proper tools. Specifically, a big vice and a
couple of straight boards.
   I'll clamp the thin edge - its only about 3/4" (2cm) wide - between two
boards in the vice with the scored seam just above the joint. I will then
fold the card over to 90° while lightly tapping the seam with a hammer.
Doing so will reshape the card leaving it with the proper shape. It can
then be lightly cemented to the triangular brace and further held in
alignment by the upholstery vinyl. That's obviously a multi-step process
done at home and at my shop. So before the reshaping bit I will do other
work. Specifically, applying carpet to the sills.
   Earlier I had cut all the carpet pieces, including the long narrow sill
carpets. And here I must insert an aside. My family immigrated to America
from Scotland so being frugal - okay, cheap and tight-fisted - is in my
DNA. The phrase 'Scot free' was not invented without reason! Anyway, the
carpet I am using in my TR6 is a left-over from restoring another car,
specifically a '73 Volvo 1800ES. Because the carpet available was a remnant
and a bit irregularly shaped, I had to first guarantee that I could cut all
the pieces necessary and in the right orientation  (carpet has a 'grain',
for lack if a better term). That's why layout and all cutting was done
before installing any pieces was done. I had just barely enough stock to do
the job!
   Without intending an endorsement and only because a couple of you have
asked, here is where I buy my automobile carpet.

https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpet-yardage-and-vinyl-for-cars-trucks-suvs-s/17303.htm

   And just to complete the references, I also use Instabind to form a neat
edge, where needed. No, it's not a high end solution but neither is it
extremely costly. Here's the link.

https://www.bondproducts.com

   Okay, back on track. Today I hope to install the carpet on the sills.
Did I already say that? Anyway, I will use contact cement there since the
surface is curved. I may go back and apply a little carpet cement under the
lower edge, just to make sure it doesn't pull loose. The upper edge is
captured under the weather strip molding so it can't go anywhere.
   If that job goes without a major hitch, I may also cement down the lower
edges of the tunnel carpet. I lightly attached it to the insulation on the
cover, just to guarantee its position. The final step, now that the upper
bits are secure, will be to trim and lightly cement the carpet's lower edge
where it meets the floor pan.
   I haven't yet decided whether to edge bind the floor carpets. I guess
the better plan will be to place those carpet bits in the car and see if
binding is needed. If so, I have an ample supply of Instabind to do the
job. I also have new floor mats to go in over the carpet.
   I'll stop now because I have worn the letters off of my keyboard keys.
Thanks for reading this far. Pictures to follow a bit later.

Rick