[6pack] Starting Problem 1976 TR6

Bob Peglow rpeglow at optonline.net
Wed Apr 18 04:58:03 MDT 2018

Need clarification here.
It sounds like starter is spinning the engine OK, and it starts when the
key is released, yes?
Bob

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 01:39 PM, Robert Lang via 6pack wrote:

Hi Dennis,

If the starter motor does not turn when the key twists all the way
clockwise, it suggests that the voltage / current is not getting to the
solenoid. You should verify that you get 12 volts to the big terminal on
the started when you twist the key. If not, there's voltage drop from
the battery and the problem could be your positive battery cable or
connection at the battery. If the voltage does not change, then verify
12 volts to the small connection on the starter. This should only
energize when the key is twisted all the way clockwise. If you get 12
volts there when the key is on the start position, then the solenoid is
bad because it is not allowing current to flow through the solenoid to
the starter motor. Note that there should be faint click at the starter
when the solenoid is energized.

In some cases, you can tap the starter and or the the solenoid and the
starter will start working properly. Note that there is a large cable
with full battery power connected to the starter, so use a
non-conductive device so you don't short things and start a fire.

Regards,
Bob Lang
339-927-4489

                         On Monday, April 16, 2018, 1:09:49 PM EDT,
Dennis Culligan via 6pack <6pack at autox.team.net> wrote:

1976 TR6 – “Always” starts the first time. The last few times I started
it, it balked.  I finally figured out that it won’t start while the key
is turned but as I release the key, it starts.  Starter solenoid?
Thanks.
Dennis Culligan ,Highland NY

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/robertlangtr6@yahoo.com