[6pack] Strange vibration

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Thu Aug 25 17:59:44 MDT 2016

Sloane,
I can't comment on your specific vibration, but you did mention the
tire situation.

Echoing John C. here; I put a set of Yoko Avid Touring-S  tires on my
original steel wheels a while back, and it made a huge
difference.   It eliminated the vast majority of vibrations, shimmy,
thumping, and generally improved the handling too.  Ok-- the latter
we might expect, merely due to new treads anyway... but I was amazed
how much smoother and quieter the car was especially in the region of
45-60 mph. My hubs and front suspension and u-joints are pretty much
original, too.

If nothing else, you might more easily detect some other more subtle
problems if you do the new tires first-- which you will do sooner or
later, anyway.  I know there are other similar comments by listers in
the archives.  Good luck,

--Glenn / San Diego
74.5