[6pack] Opinions on cost of a factory hardtop

robert fabie bobfabie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 06:14:21 MST 2014

Hello James,

A fully restorable (not restored) factory steel TR6/250/4 top could easily
fetch $1500-$2000. This assumes all the small bits and pieces (like
interior vents and chrome moldings) are in place, including all the
hardware needed to attach the top to the car. This also assumes no
rust-through on the metal.

I mention "restoarable" because the chances of someone selling a "restored"
hardtop that happens to match the exact color of your car are slim. As
such, you would need to have the top dismantled and painted to match your
vehicle's color.

These original hardtops are becoming increasingly rare and finding a
"restored" one is even rarer. Opinions will vary, but my estimates are
based on my having paid $900 for a perfect restorable one 14 years ago.

Before you pull the trigger on one, take a look at the Roadster Factory
catalog as a guide to all the parts that make up the hardtop. Some are
still available and others are not.

Best,
Bob
1975 TR6 (with hardtop)