[6pack] Need Advice - Removing Window Frame -- Update!

Ken Davis ken at azkiwis.com
Fri May 9 08:34:43 MDT 2014

I got it out and off yesterday morning!  What a job!
Thanks to the advice of the list I accomplished it as follows

1-plenty of penetrating out sprayed on it.
2-Removed the nuts at the end of the mounting rod, and put on 2 nuts on
each.
3-used a 3/8 12 in extension rod with a 9/16 socket on the end as a drift
tool
4- used a 5lb sledge hammer-  it is awkward to say the least, being on your
back, whacking upwards.
5- loosened the locking bolts and shook /wriggled the window frame - quite
violently.
6- tightened the nuts again.
7-liberal penetrating oil
8- repeated steps 4-7 every morning (can only work in mornings)
9- as it loosened, used a pry bar on each side (not recommended, damages
body... duh)
10- as each side moved a little, switched to working the other side
11 - removed double nuts each side, loosened the locking bolts, shook
/wriggled /pulled, then retightened bolts.
12 - final shots of penetrating oil and a a brute force wriggle and pull,
and up she came.

 -- Did find that the under-window-to-body seal had been stuck down with
some form of sealant -- not helpful

Anyway, it's off, so rust treatment, sanding etc can begin this weekend!
Overall, it took a week of 1-2 hours work on it each day..

Thanks list for the help!

Ken