[6pack] Electronic Ignition Opinion

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Tue Nov 13 22:10:14 MST 2012

On 11/13/2012 9:17 PM, Bruce Simms wrote:
> My Crane 700 from about 2000 has been flawless.    Bought a Crane 3000 a few
> years ago.   Nice unit.with more features then 700.    700 is now a
> backup.     There's some more interesting solutions such as Mallory unilite or
> 123 where you can dial in different advance curves to suit your engine, but
> you need an electric tach conversion.
>
> Good with my set-up,

Same here. I've had an Allison (now Crane) unit on the GT6 for fifteen
years now, with no problems.  I think some of the early failures that
queered people on the Allison/Crane setup was that the main cable had
more of a strain relief than a waterproof seal where it exited the case,
and moisture may have been a cause.  When I installed mine, I forced
some sealant into and around the cable and it's survived driving through
some very bad flooding.  It can't cure other faults, such as bad rotors,
but it's done yeoman service for a decade and a half.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....