[6pack] Electronic Ignition systems

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Nov 13 05:49:12 MST 2012

The Crane XR700 installed by a previous owner in our GT6 MK3 has performed
without any problems for at least 5 years. We tried a Pertronix in our TR6
but it burned out, leaving us on the side of the road (we were able to coast
1/2 mile of the 1 1/2 miles back home). Pertronix replaced the unit with no
question but that one failed as well. As it turned out, I think the unit was
being fed with the reduced voltage from the ballast wire rather than the
full 12 volts that it needs. I can't fault Pertronix for that. The TR6 has
been back on points for the last 3500 miles. I may try electronic ignition
in it again.

Alex Thomson