[6pack] Mixture Adjustment

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Sun Jun 24 10:37:01 MDT 2012

John,

I wouldn't mess with the needles yet. It could be that you could have
too much gas pressure at the carbs especially the front carb.

Get a vacuum gage and fit a T-connector into your gas line right
before it enters the carbs. It should run right around 1-2 psi. My car
likes 1.5 psi. It didn't like 3-4 psi which is the reading I got
initially so I put a pressure regulator/filter on and set the pressure
at 1.5 psi and its run better ever since.

Your symptoms, no choke needed, stumble/stall, black plugs all
indicate a too much fuel problem whether its pressure, stuck float
valve, or something else in that front carb. Also the front carb is
first in line to the gas line so my guess is that it gets a little
more of the brunt of the pressure and is prone to the issues you
described. The front carb fuel chamber on my car always has the most
crud in when I clean it out too. I've become a believer in controlling
gas pressure to ZS carbs and to cleaning out the fuel chambers as a
regular maintenance task. It makes my life easier in the long run.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net