[6pack] Fw: Convex glass for sport rear view outside mirror

Sally or Dick Taylor taylorturbo6 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 19:49:34 MDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Sally or Dick Taylor
<taylorturbo6 at yahoo.com>
To: Bruce Simms <brucesimns2003 at yahoo.ca>
Sent:
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [6pack] Convex glass for sport
rear view outside mirror

Bruce---(Your email name spelling bounced)  Sorry
if this is a repeat...
I think one of the TR parts houses sells the convex
mirror, but don't remember which one. Also don't know if t was the 4" or a
smaller bullet. Some help, huh?   This discovery was sometime after I went to
a junk yard and bought one of the mirrors from the passenger side of an old
Dodge van. This mirror was large enough to make two-4 inchers, so I bought it
for $15. You found, as I did, glass shops weren't interested in making one.
Cobbling together some parts, like the two halves of a bearing packer, I
clamped it into a lathe and made the finished product. (If I were to sell one
of these for $100. I'd be working for about $5/hr.!) Of course I broke the
first attempt, as working with anything but flat glass is a challenge to cut.
Now, does it work? Yes, but not as well as the mirrors that are more
rectangle, like most of the newer cars.
Actually the 3.5 stick-ons give a
better field of view, but look sort of hokey, I think.

Dick