[6pack] Annoying Bucking/Stumble

Bill Wellbaum wcwellbaum at cox.net
Mon Apr 9 17:40:30 MDT 2012

Interesting you would ask this question.  A few years backI had a bucking
problem at low rpm's under light load. I did all you did below and
discovered that by installing new air filters the problem vanished.  Easy
solution.  Fast forward a few years and the bucking and jerking increased
until the car was literally undriveable.  In the past 4 weeks I have
replaced: ignition wire, plugs, rotor, condenser, points, dizzy cap, dizzy
ground wire, fuel pump, fuel filter--all to no avail.  I then dismanteled
the Zenith carbs and checked the floats for proper settings, and checked
every oriface for blockage.  Back on went the carbs to no avail.  I took the
main ground strap off and cleaned it up--no change.   I then increased the
points gap to .020" and the problem partially cleared up.  Well, as it turns
out the bushings in the distributor were shot.  I am waiting for the return
of my fettled dizzy and am hoping that the problem will have been solved.  I
will advise all later this week of my findings.

Bill Wellbaum
Hopeful in Las Vegas.