[6pack] Pinging Engine

Tomislav Marincic tomislav.marincic at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 9 13:12:28 MDT 2012

Rob,

Always good to hear your advice.

I had my damper rebuilt as part of the engine rebuild by the "damper dudes."
I'm inclined to believe that the marks are correct: it idles sweetly at an
indicated 10-12 BTDC, manifold vacuum starts to drop off above that, and
when I retarded it to an indicated 4BTDC, my header wrap was smoking and my
idle exhaust CO went to 10%.

You have 9.67:1, a GP-3, and only 5 psi more than me. I may be a little high
then, or it might just be testing conditions and compression gauges
providing the variation.

May I ask what you use for timing/ignition on that car?

I have a spare distributor on the shelf set up for 0 advance at idle and a
full 13 distributor/26 crank degrees at 2800 RPM. The car was pinging with
that distributor when I contacted Jeff, so I assume the one he built me is
milder, but I'm just guessing there.

Good writing is like a windowpane.
George Orwell